SHE THE PROJECT
8 Tips that can change your life (for better).
For a long time, people thought that creativity was some kind of gift of “blessed people”. Today, we know this concept is completely wrong because creativity is a patrimony of all.
However, many people still think that creativity is a divine gift. If you are a part of this group of people, I have one (bad) news to share with you: Agreeing with this is much more dangerous than you can imagine. In order to accept that creativity is for only few human beings is a misbelief so serious that it can even change the course of your life.
If you still did not understand, let me mention – briefly – some characteristics of creative people. Based on more than 5,000 interviews conducted with managers of companies such as Apple, Amazon, eBay P&G’s, creative people have some common attitudes: they make unusual associations, they make questioning, they are good observers, curious and they tend to build experiences throughout new experiments.
With all of that in mind, let me ask you: What would be of your life if wouldn’t have the ability to question the status quo of your professional or personal life? And if you wouldn’t have the curiosity to try out new things? What would be of your infancy if you wouldn’t have the ability to observe your surroundings and learn good (and bad) things with it? Or even, if you wouldn’t know how to solve a problem by combining ideas?
For those who are still thinking: “What is the relationship between creativity and these situations?”. I answer: EVERYTHING! Creativity is essential for human evolution and it is also essential for your life.
In addition, practicing creativity can make us even more courageous because it shows us that personal and professional possibilities are endless. In other words, creativity can show us opportunities that not everyone sees.
Therefore, if you are feeling restricted in your career, with few growth up prospects or even discredited in your personal and/or professional life, you may be missing your creativity. Look at you and try to understand how and if you are exercising your creativity? The world is big and it is full of opportunities. If you are not seeing them, you need to use more your creative potential!
After all this you may be thinking, “Bruna, I would like to be more creative, but it is possible to learn how to be creative after became an adult?”. The answer is YES, creativity is a skill that can be learned. It requires training and dedication though.
If you are interested in become more creative, I give you 8 tips that can change (for better) your life:
- DON’T BE VERY LOGICAL: creative ideas can be restricted by a very rational and logical environment where the boldest or “crazy” insights may not be very welcome.
- DON’T THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW ENOUGH: Never be convinced that you already know everything, this can limit your vision. Observe your surroundings, gather facts and systematically look around.
- DON’T FOCUS ON JUST ONE KIND OF KNOWLEDGE: Being super-interested in just one knowledge and ignoring cross-fertilizations that can be born between arts and engineering or human and exact sciences may be dysfunctional behavior for your creative training.
- DON’T BE PREJUDICED: not being interested in what is different and criticizing the unknown can close doors to valuable insights. Open yourself to the new, look at the world through the eyes of a child and be curious about everything, especially, about what you do not know.
- DON’T THINK YOU ARE NOT CREATIVE: all people have creative potential to use in their daily lives, either in the personal, professional or academic environment.
- DON’T STAY IN THE COMFORT ZONE: to keep doing the same things because they “always worked” is the fastest way to shorten your creativity.
- DON’T BE INFLEXIBLE AND ALWAYS RIGHT: being a hardheaded person and not giving up on your ideas can be a lost game for anyone who wants to stimulate creativity!
- LEAD A BALANCED LIFE: not eating well, exercising little and having an unbalanced life can affect your creative process! I’m not kidding, studies point out that these practices directly affect people’s creative potential.
If you would like to exercise your creativity, take a look at these 4 free lessons that I have set for you! During these videos, you will learn 2 ways to further your creative potential!
Do you would like to exchange ideas with me? So, drop me a line! It will be a pleasure to talk to you. 😉
Bruna Ruschel – Hamburg, Germany
PhD in Design / Master in Strategic Design